2020 Speaking Engagements
Panelist - Women in Conservation Leadership Summit- March 17,2020
The National Wildlife Federation's Women in Conservation Leadership program seeks to foster, empower, and develop women leaders within the conservation community. The Women in Conservation Leadership Summit will take place March 16-19th at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort in Colorado Springs, CO.
Speaker - Student Conservation Association's Convening on Youth Co-Powerment – March 18-19, 2020
The March convening is the foundational effort to explore and clarify what co-powerment can be for our time and our future. A select group of accomplished and influential leaders will explore how, together, we can best help young change-makers take action on environmental injustice, climate change, and the other critical conservation issues of our day. An opportunity for visionary leaders with experience in conservation, environmental justice, & youth development to collaborate and explore.
Keynote/ Training - Defenders of Wildlife - Mon, Mar 23-25, 2020
Integration of Equity and Inclusion in Conservation
Building a more inclusive conservation movement requires us to examine deeply subconscious attitudes that span race, gender, appearance, age, wealth and much more. Through a series of exercises, discussions and self-reflective activities we will take a critical eye to our organizational systems and reflect on how we can bring ideas down to the ground and incorporate equity and justice into our daily work. We will also hear from Defenders of Wildlife colleagues who will share how they have incorporated DEIJ into their work.
Keynote- 2020 Annual Colorado TU Rendezvous -April 24-26, 2020
VISION 2020: MAKING TU STRONGER TOGETHER
Members, volunteer leaders and staff of Colorado TU will once again be coming to Glenwood Springs, CO for a great weekend of fun, learning, and camaraderie on April 24-26.
Friday, Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning concurrent workshop sessions on topics including:
Keynote - Society of Outdoor Recreation Professionals - April 27, 2020
Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Outdoor Recreation
The Society of Outdoor Recreation Professionals (SORP) hosts the annual National Outdoor Recreation Conference (NORC). This premier event showcases creative and innovative approaches to outdoor recreation research, planning, policy development, and management. The conference offers participants the opportunity to LEARN best practices, NETWORK with other outdoor recreation professionals, CELEBRATE excellence in outdoor recreation, and MENTOR the next generation of outdoor recreation professionals.
Speaker- Inclusive Denver Equity and Accessibility Summit for Action -August 20-21, 2020
IDEAS for Action is a 2 day event for thought-provoking discussions and solutions-based recommendations for Justice, Equity, Diversity, Accessibility and Inclusion in Denver Area Nonprofits. IDEAS for Action brings together leaders and key stakeholders and will features a mix of planned and open space conference sessions intended to help Metro Denver organization build diverse workplaces and increase community impact.
Day one of this 2-day Summit will host local thought Leaders on equity, diversity and inclusion and will engage in dialogue and agenda building sessions during the Monday convening. Day 2 will offer opportunity for small group sessions and collaboration for real world solutions.
Keynote- Fourth Annual ECHO Summit - October 24, 2020
Early Childhood Health Outdoors (ECHO) is providing young children in Colorado with access to quality outdoor learning environments. The annual Early Childhood Health Outdoors (ECHO) Summit. The annual ECHO Summit is an opportunity for early childhood professionals, community leaders, design professionals, and more to develop new skills and advance the way they look at nature as a vehicle for development and curiosity. Children are inherently wild and curious about their surroundings, and one of the powerful aspects of being a child is their drive to learn and explore the natural world.
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2019, September 18) Inclusion in the outdoors: Using the lens of history to chart our future path. Keynote Address at the Colorado Open Space Alliance Conference.
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2019, March 15) Becoming an Eco J.E.D.I. – Exploring ways to bridge the gap between environmental education and environmental justice. Keynote Address Advancing Environmental Education Conference.
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2019, January 25) Exploring Privilege: Examining our Blind Spots to Become Better Interpreters and Stronger Organizations. Keynote at the Bringing Voice Together Conference. Desert Botanical Gardens, Pheonix, AZ
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2018, November 3). Reconnecting: Dismantling White Ideology in the Outdoors. Training presented at the White Privilege Symposium, Denver, CO.
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2018, August 4-5) Inclusivity Training Building Culturally Competent Organizations and Effectively Leading Diverse Teams. Training for Becket-Chimney Corners YMCA
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2018, June 5) Inclusive Leadership: Building Culturally Competent Organizations and Effectively Leading Diverse Teams
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2018, April 24) Pick-up games, cookouts, and summer block parties: Using cultural competence to examine ways people connect to the outdoors.
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2018, Feb 20) Inclusivity through Personal and Organizational Cultural Competency
- Forist, B., McMullen-Bushman, P., & Llanes, M. (2017, November 15). Diversity, equity, and inclusion: Best practices in cultural competence training for interpreters and our organizations. Paper presented at the National Association
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2016, May) Echo Hill Outdoor School (Staff Diversity Training) – Worton, MD
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2016) Solving the Diversity Deficit in EE: Pathways to Inclusion - Panel Session/Moderator: North American Association for Environmental Education National Conference – Madison, WI 2016
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2016) Presentation: Beyond Green: Diversifying EE through Personal and Organizational Cultural Competency North American Association for Environmental Education National Conference – Madison, WI
- McMullen-Bushman, P. National Association for Interpretation (Board DEI Training) – Fort Collins, CO -2016
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2016) Guest Speaker covering issues of diversity and inclusion in green spaces Indiana University – Introduction to Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Human Ecology Course
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2016) Presentation: Black, White and Green: Inclusion Methods for Diversity in Environmental Education Maryland Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education Conference () – Ocean City, MD
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2016) Beyond Green: Diversifying EE through Personal and Organizational Cultural Competency -NAAEE
- McMullen-Bushman, P., Kline, M., Morris, A. (2016) Successes and Struggles in Shifting Predominantly White EE Institutions North American Association for Environmental Education Conference – Madison, WI
- McMullen-Bushman, P. (2015) Presentation: Black, White and Green: Inclusion Methods for Diversity in Environmental Education North American Association for Environmental Education Conference – San Diego, CA